If my mother passed away 2 years ago and I’m only now getting a bill from the medical group, can they still try to collect after all this time?

UPDATED: Dec 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mother passed away 2 years ago and I’m only now getting a bill from the medical group, can they still try to collect after all this time?

She was on hospice at the continuing care facility where she lived because she elected to go off kidney dialysis. My father is in the same facility with MS and 24 hour care. The med group claims that there may have been a delay with the ins co paying and now there is a balance or it may be a balance that’s been overlooked. Can they do that 2 years after she’s passed when it may have been their fault?

Asked on December 16, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Since you recently received a medical bill from a health care provider more than two years after the death of your mother for services provided her, obviously the health care provider can submit a late bill. Assuming your mother had medical insurance at the time this bill's services was generated, you should immediately call the medical insurance provider about the new bill, and follow up with a confirming letter to it sending a copy of the bill as well.

Keep a copy of the letter for future need. I would also contact the health care provider and advise its representative that the bill has been sent to your mother's insurance carrier at the time for review and decision.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption