What to do if my father has not paid for my mom’s funeral and now they are contacting me demanding payment and threatening to sue?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my father has not paid for my mom’s funeral and now they are contacting me demanding payment and threatening to sue?

She died 2 years ago. I did not sign anything saying I was responsible for the bill nor did I agree to pay any of the costs for the funeral. My father is the one that accepted all financial responsibility. What are my rights?

Asked on September 19, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should inform them of what you havve written here--you never agreed to pay any burial costs, and rather it was your father who agreed to pay. The mere fact that you are her child does not obligate you if you never accepted that obligation or directed the funeral or burial. If they don't back off promptly, ask the funeral home, cemetary, or their collection agency to validate the debt--that is, to send you copies of any agreements or documents which they claim obligate you to pay, or provide a citation to any court order, law, etc. which they feel requires you to pay (and also to send all correspondence and documentation relating to the funeral--expenses; any emails or instructions selecting the location and type of burial, etc.). Once you have all the information which they claim makes you liable, you are in a better position to challenge it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption