What are a life tenant’s rights?

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are a life tenant’s rights?

My mother owns 2 homes in 2 different states. She has verbally expressed to my siblings and I that she would like these homes made available for lifetime use for her “significant other” should she pass first. As a life tenant, if the time comes that he needs to be put in a nursing home will we be allowed to sell the homes, or will his children have the rights as his guardian to take over the homes until his death? Is this something she needs to have written in her Will or is a verbal agreement with all of us enough?

Asked on August 12, 2012 under Estate Planning, Florida


david slater / david p.slater, esq.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

A life tenancy can be established by will or deed.  If the tenant does not use it or cannot use it, it is abandoned. His children have no rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption