If my mother left me a Trust for an inheritance, is there a way to convert it to something that I can access before she passes?

UPDATED: May 17, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 17, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mother left me a Trust for an inheritance, is there a way to convert it to something that I can access before she passes?

Also, she is stricken with Alzheimer’s and is otherwise physically healthy. The problem is she has no problem with me having the money now but due to her dementia i can’t legally have her sign any papers. Just so you understand, I myself am on disability and 3 months away from being homeless. I don’t want to do anything that could get me in trouble.

Asked on May 17, 2014 under Estate Planning, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to carefully read the terms of the trust as to whether or not you have access to its corpus presently or if you have to wait until after she passes. For this, I suggest that you consult with a Wills and trust attorney in your locality to assist you in the endeavor. One in your locality can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption