If my mother left me a car in her Will but my father won’t let me take it out of his garage, what canI do?

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mother left me a car in her Will but my father won’t let me take it out of his garage, what canI do?

My mother left me her car and it is stored with some of my other stuff in my father’s garage and he called the police. They said they couldn’t do anything. I want to know how I can go about getting the car and my other things?

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Estate Planning, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

My first question is how old are you? Are you under 18 years of age and a minor? If so, you live in your father's home and he makes the rules for you to follow.

If you are over 18 years of age, is the car now registered in your name? If not, you need to have title transferred to you per a probate order. Until that is done, you are not the legal owner of the vehicle.

If legal title of the car is in your name, then you have the right to take it assuming you are 18 years or older.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption