If my mother just passed away with few assets and I’m the executor, do I need to to file a probate claim?

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mother just passed away with few assets and I’m the executor, do I need to to file a probate claim?

She did not own her home and only had a vehicle and some personal belongings.

Asked on October 21, 2014 under Estate Planning, Indiana


Christine Socrates / Christine Sabio Socrates, Atty at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The answer to that question depends on certain factors.  Does she have a surviving spouse? What is the value of the car and other assets?  If she has a surviving spouse and no other assets other than the car, the surviving spouse can transfer the car outside of probate.  If there is no surviving spouse, you will need to open up an estate at probate court but depending on the value of the car and other assets, you may be able to avoid opening up a full estate and apply for a release of assets instead.  I advise you to consult with a probate attorney to evaluate your case and adequately advise you on what will be required. I would be to assist you if you would like.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption