my mother is wanting to payoff my bankruptcy. how do i go about doing this

UPDATED: May 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 13, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

my mother is wanting to payoff my bankruptcy. how do i go about doing this

Asked on May 13, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If you have remaining obligations flowing from an existing bankruptcy, she could pay the creditors directly. Depending on when you filed for bankruptcy it MIGHT be possible to withdraw the filing and work out some deal with the creditors. Indeed, if you did not file yet, it would be best if a lawyer could work out a deal with the creditors now.

However, to work out a deal on favorable terms and maneuver through what would be complicated proceedings, her first step should be to speak to a lawyer and get you legal representation. Any creditor recognizing that Mom is prepared to pay 100 cents on the dollar will demand 100 cents; a creditor faced with getting nothing to 10 cents on the dollar in bankruptcy would be thrilled with 15 cents on the dollar. You'll also want to find out if the debts you have are in fact dischargeable. is the place to find lawyers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption