If my mother is in a nursing home and I have the right of survivorship to the property, can she legally sign it over to me?

UPDATED: Mar 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mother is in a nursing home and I have the right of survivorship to the property, can she legally sign it over to me?

My mother is in nursing care and before she went into the home after her stroke, she had a quit claim deed and survivorship to the property done for us. I would like to be able to have her sign her rights away to the property (it is paid off) so I can sell it and relocate for a better job. However, someone said that the nursing home or state can stake a claim on the property or she can lose her Medicaid.

Asked on March 17, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I would let matters stay as they are with the property you are writing about. If the parcel is held in joint tenancy with the right of survivorship and your mother passes before you, you inherit the parcel in its entirety with a partial stepped up basis for tax purposes.

The inheritance will not need to be probated as a matter of law and the nursing home most likely will be unable to make a claim against it for any money owed it. Rather than sell the property, perhaps renting it out is an option to generate some income? I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney about your matter further.

Assuming your mother is competent by her treating physician to make an informed decision, she can transfer her interest in it to you. However, this could create some tax consequences for her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption