If my mother is being sued by a rehab center and I live with her, once a judgment is obtained how do I protect my belongings?

UPDATED: Oct 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mother is being sued by a rehab center and I live with her, once a judgment is obtained how do I protect my belongings?

My mother has home hospice. I am not working, I am my mother’s 24 hour caregiver. We are both on lease of rented apartment. If their is a judgement against her, how do I protect my belongings. I paid for the TV, DVD, computer, books, Cd’s, etc. years ago. How do I keep them from taking my things. We both live off her disability income now. I don’t know if I should apear at summons or not, or wait for exemption papers. Can they touch her disability check of $487 and SS of $1089?

Asked on October 4, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your mother is sued for money by a rehab cenbter, you have nothing to worry about as far as your own assets because the lawsuit would not be against you. The lawsuit would be against your mother.

Your mother's assets would be subject to a possible judgment, not yours. I would call your local "legal aid" clinic to see if it can give you further advise about your mother's situation. I would answer the lawsuit for your mother and try and negotiate some form of a monthly payment for your mother. The disability and social security checks of your mother would be exempt from any levy by a judgment creditor. However, once the checks are placed in a bank account of your mother, the exemption from a judgment levy would be lost.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption