What happens if a beneficiary does before they receive their gift?

UPDATED: Jan 27, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 27, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if a beneficiary does before they receive their gift?

My mother-in-law passed away and left everything to her daughter and myself. However, before the Will was read, her daughter passed away. Does her 1/2 go to her family or does everything go to me?

Asked on January 27, 2014 under Estate Planning, Michigan


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Since the daughter survived the mother-in-law, she still inherited her 1/2, even though she did not survive the reading of the will.  Therefore, her 1/2 will go to whomever she designated in her will, or if she had no will, to her closest survivors, according to your state's law of intestate succession.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption