What to do if my mother had a revocable living Trust naming my sister and I as trustees but has not provided me with any paperwork?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my mother had a revocable living Trust naming my sister and I as trustees but has not provided me with any paperwork?

My older sister was her power of attorney; upon my mother’s death my sister was in sole possession of all paperwork. It has been almost a year since my mom passed and my sister has provided no information. She said we should all know that there was nothing left after paying the nursing home bills. Doesn’t she have some legal responsibility to provide information to the other 5 living children named in the revocable? And, what do I have to do to persuade her to disseminate that information?

Asked on January 2, 2014 under Estate Planning, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, if you were a co-trustee under your mother's trust, you are entitled to a copy of the trust from your sister with a full accounting and backup documentation. I would write your sister a demand letter for such to be provided in 10 days. If not provided, you need to consult with a Wills and trust attorney in your community. One can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption