What to do if my mom’s Will was not registered and my sister was POA and took everything and now won’t show us the so-called Will that she has?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my mom’s Will was not registered and my sister was POA and took everything and now won’t show us the so-called Will that she has?

My mom passed on 02/11. She left behind 5 children, 1 of whom was one POA. That child, my sister, re-wrote my mom’s Will from the original Will and changed the POA to herself on 01/21. At that time, mom lacked the mental capacity to do so and my sister took everything. My mom didn’t have much but memories are priceless. She told me on many occasions that she did will her car to her grandson. None of her other 4 children has even seen this so called Will. We would like to have some of mom memories and to see the Will.

Asked on March 24, 2018 under Estate Planning, Delaware


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation.  You should have gotten a copy of the Will - whichever Will was probated - because you are children of the decedent.  If the Will was probated then you can view it in the Probate Court.  I would take a copy and seek legal help.  What you wish to do is set aside the Will that your sister altered and have her removed as Execitrix (not POA) and reinstate the former Will if you can find it.  It is a compicated process and you will need legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption