What to do if my mom passed away and had no Will?

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my mom passed away and had no Will?

She had no money. The only thing she had was a truck and it has a lien on it. I am the youngest of her 2 children and is the responsible person for her debts. The company with the lien on her truck said I need documentation stating I am the person responsible for her accounts. What is it that I need?

Asked on March 6, 2012 under Estate Planning, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  What are you planning on doing with the truck? In order to give it back, sell it or transfer the title in any way you have to be given the legal authority by the probate courts.  If yor Mother had very little in earthly possessions- she had two children worth a lot more than money - than you would probably qualify for a small estate  administration.  You will then be appointed as the administrator or personal representative of the estate which will give you the power you need to take action. Now, you should sign nothing making you personally responsible.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption