If my mom wants to move and I turn 18 soon, can I rent an apartment on my own?

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mom wants to move and I turn 18 soon, can I rent an apartment on my own?

If she moves and I go with her, I’ll to quit my job. In addition I only have 1 semester left of high school and I want to be able to graduate from the school I now attend. But most importantly, I really don’t want to lose my job. What can I do?

Asked on December 27, 2011 under Family Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Once you turn 18, you are legally an adult, at least for purposes of contracts--and leases. At that point, you can legally rent an apartment on your own. Prior to you turning 18, you would need someone else to sign the lease for you (e.g. some family member). It is also sometimes possible for a teen to become "emancipated" prior to turning 18, but if you are almost 18, it is probably not worth it--you'd likely have your birthday first before completing the process. However, if you wish to explore that option, you should speak with a family law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption