If my mom is receiving back child support from a few years ago, do Ihave any rights to the money if i am now an adult?

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mom is receiving back child support from a few years ago, do Ihave any rights to the money if i am now an adult?

My mom recently started receiving back child support from the time I was 12 to 18. For the last 4 of those years I was living with friends and fending for myself with no help from her. My mom kicked me out when I was 14. I wasn’t able to get a job at the time. I had nobody to help me. I had to steal clothes so I had things that fit. I stole food from stores also. I am now 20.

Asked on November 19, 2011 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry that you had such a terrible time of things.  I am glad that there were people to help you and that you had a place to stay.  Technically the money was to be for your support and maintenance.  The order granting it is directed to your Mother.  You are what is known under the law as a third party beneficiary.  And although I do not know if there is precedent - law that is already established - on the issue, I think that you have a very good argument in "equity" here if not already established in law.  Lawsuits are sometimes not based solely on the law such as statutes and rules.  Sometimes they are based in equity, where we ask the court to make a decision because it is the right decision and fair decision.  So go and seek some help here.  U think that you may have a case.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption