If my mom and 7 month old brother were killed 19 years ago, how could I go about finding out if I was awarded any type of settlement?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mom and 7 month old brother were killed 19 years ago, how could I go about finding out if I was awarded any type of settlement?

They were ran over by a dump truck as they were walking. Multiple parties involved. Here I am 24 years old and everytime I ask my dad about the lawsuit and settlements he tells me that there aren’t any. I have a hard time believing that my mom suffered such a tragic death and I was not granted some money in a settlement. My dad kees making large purchases and I’m wondering where all this money is coming from. My dad obviously wants to lie. I need to truth and closure.

Asked on January 12, 2016 under Personal Injury, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

d on the time line you describe, you would have been 5 years old. It is very likely that as a five-year old with a living father and who was not himself injured (i.e. no money needed to be put aside for your medical care) that the entire settlement (if any) was your father's: the law would not require that any part of it be given to an injured minor child, but rather the living spouse, who lost his wife and child, would get it all. You can still try checking with the courts in the county where the accident occured, but such an old case may not be in the electronic/online system and may be very difficult to locate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption