If my mother has passed away and I have inherited her savings bonds which are in her trust, do the bonds have to be cashed right away?

UPDATED: Mar 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mother has passed away and I have inherited her savings bonds which are in her trust, do the bonds have to be cashed right away?

My mother left approximately $80,000 in bonds in her trust to me and my 3 siblings. Some do not mature until next year. Do we have to cash them in any specific timeframe and will we have to do an income tax return for my mother when we do?

Asked on March 17, 2012 under Estate Planning, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have inherited your mother's savings bonds, you do not need to cash them in right away. You can wait until they mature. You will need an affidavit of the successor trustee of your mother's trust stating that you have received under the trust the specific bonds and their numbers.

You will have to do tax returns for the trust but until the bonds are cashed in, there is no taxable event. However, for tax purposes, you will need to know how much interest accrued on these bonds at the time of your mother's passing in that the accrued interest up to her passing would be included in her trust's estate tax return.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption