Is a marriage license issued inone state legal in another?

UPDATED: Dec 31, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 31, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a marriage license issued inone state legal in another?

My MD marriage license states that we had to get married in the state but we got married in Washington, DC instead. Is our marriage legal?

Asked on December 31, 2010 under Family Law, District of Columbia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking that is the truth: your marriage license is only valid in the state in which it is issued.  I know that things get kind of muddled down there with being so close to Washington DC and all but Washington DC has their own marriage license bureau so one can assume that if you are getting married within DC yo must have a license form DC.  I would go down to the marriage license bureau in Maryland and double check as to the validity of the license for use in getting married in Washington DC.  And then take the steps necessary to rectify the situation if need be.  A simple trip to the Justice of the Peace may be in order. Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption