What can I do if my mailbox was knocked down by a motorist who said he would replace it but it’s has been 2 weeks and the mailbox hasn’t yet been replaced?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my mailbox was knocked down by a motorist who said he would replace it but it’s has been 2 weeks and the mailbox hasn’t yet been replaced?

A driver was observed by my neighbor driving recklessly. He then hit my mailbox. I received a knock on the door from the man and he had my mail in his hand. He told me his version of what happened and said he would replace my mailbox by Friday of that same week. It is going into three weeks and my mailbox still has not been replaced. Yes, I made contact with him after the time in which he was supposed to have replaced my mailbox and all I have received is excuses. I have been patient and tried to give this man a chance to replace the mailbox. I am disabled and have limited resources. At this point I would need to know what course of action can I take to have this man be accountable for replacing my mailbox? Can I file any legal charges against him?

Asked on February 29, 2016 under Accident Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't file charges for an accident--that's not a crime. (If he had *intentionally* knocked down the mailbox, that would be  different story: intentional property damage/destruction is a criminal act.)
You can sue him for the cost to repair or replace (including the labor cost for a carpenter, handyman, etc.) the mailbox. A good option is to file in small claims court, on a "pro se" (as your own attorney) basis, which will minimize legal costs--you'll just have to pay the filing fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption