If a traffic cop provided me with wrong information when I was ticketed and my license was suspended as a result,what can I do?

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a traffic cop provided me with wrong information when I was ticketed and my license was suspended as a result,what can I do?

I am a residence of IL. Over the summer I was ticketed for underage transportation of alcohol in WI. The officer who pulled me over told me the ticket would be no points on my license and that there was no mandatory court date. The officer said all I would have to do is pay it off and I’d be fine. So I pleaded guilty and sent in the money. Now IL is suspending my license for one year. Because of the wrong information provided by the officer my license is being suspended for a year. What can I do?

Asked on October 21, 2010 under Criminal Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Oh boy.  I would contact an attorney as soon as you can on this. States now share information about DUI's and convictions through an interstate compact.  Most of the states are members with the exception of a few.  The compact worked here as you can see.

You have already entered a plea of guilty and the odds are not so great that you will be permitted to change that plea at this stage of the game.  In the meantime I would also see if you qualify for a limited license in Illinois pending the determination of your change of plea. If you need to drive to school or to work you are going to have a hard time with the suspension.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption