My legal rites as a live in girlfriend who is being kicked out?

UPDATED: May 27, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My legal rites as a live in girlfriend who is being kicked out?

My boyfriend as decided to end the relationship. and wants me too leave now. I have no job or money or place to go. He has paid and provided for me. This is his home what do I do so I dont end up on street with nothing.

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Family Law, California


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The case of Marvin vs. Marvin dealt with unmarried, cohabitating couples and what rights each has when the relationship ends.  Basically, barring an express or implied contract indicating some type of sharing of assets, (which the Marvin case had), you have no claim to anything other than what you brought into the relationship.  There is really no such thing as "palimony" where alimony extends to unmarried couples.  I'm afraid he will not owe you any alimony.  My suggestion is to rely on family, find a job, and move out as soon as you can.  Or, if you can afford to pay the rent, throw him out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption