What can I do if my last employer gave me 2 checks that bounced and I have been trying to get them to issues me a new check?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my last employer gave me 2 checks that bounced and I have been trying to get them to issues me a new check?

How do I get them to pay? They have been giving me the runaround for over 3 months.

Asked on June 24, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You have two options:

1) contact that state Labor Dept. and see if they can help--they may be able to;

2) if they can't help--and there's a reasonable chance they will not be able to do so (cases like this, they often say you have to take action yourself)--you can sue your employer for the money, which the owe you (you did the work; they have to pay).

A good option is suing in small claims court, where you can act as your own attorney and save on legal fees.

Note if the business is in financial distress (e.g. insolvent or becoming involvent), then even if you win the lawsuit, you may not recover any money--the courts can't make money appear when there isn't any, and you can't recover money if the person or business you sue has none.

If the business were a corporation or LLC (limited liability company), you sue the business; if the business were not, then sue the owner(s) personally--you'd sue them as, for example, "John Doe, d/b/a Acme Products."


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption