If my landlord wants to put in carpet but my wife andI prefer the hardwood floor, what are our rights?

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my landlord wants to put in carpet but my wife andI prefer the hardwood floor, what are our rights?

The flooring was part of the reason that we selected this apartment. We have lived here for 4 1/2 years.

Asked on December 20, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Technically the landlord is entitled to place carpet over the hardwood floor in the unit you are renting since he or she owns the unit. However, when the carpet can be placed depends upon what your presumed written lease states in that it controls the obligations owed to you by the landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law.

I would read the lease carefully to see about repairs and upgrades mentioned in it. If nothing is stated, then the landlord can make the upgrade. If the upgrade issue is mentioned in the presumed written lease, the written lease should control.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption