What to do if my landlord took my door handle and now I have a hole in my door?

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my landlord took my door handle and now I have a hole in my door?

She said that she’s fixing it but I’ve been without handle on my door for a week now. I’m getting worried for saftey reasons.

Asked on October 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You may have several options, not to mention a serious safety issue. You can claim a breach of the "warranty of habitability" which is a guarantee that is implied in every residential lease. Accordingly, you can either withhold rent until the repair is made or, if the situation persists, you can terminate your lease.  A third, and perhaps best option for you, is to make the repair yourself and the deduct the cost of a new lock from your rent. No matter which option is taken, you can report this condition to the housing code enforcement officer in your area.

At this point, you need to let your landlord know that you are going to take action and hopefully that will resolve things. if not, you should consult directly with an attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant matters. At the very least you need to speak with a tenants right advocacy group. If you attempt any of the above remedies you must be certain of your legal rights under applicable state law. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption