What should I do if my landlord is now telling me after a year that I can’t have pets and he’s demanding my cat and dog leaves?

UPDATED: Feb 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if my landlord is now telling me after a year that I can’t have pets and he’s demanding my cat and dog leaves?

I have been living in my house for 13 months now.

Asked on February 8, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have been allowed pets in the rental your presently occupy by your landlord for the past 13 months and your written lease does not prohibit the cat and dog that you have, you are allowed to keep them in your unit per the lease's express written terms.

If the lease prohibits pets expressly, then you cannot keep the pets in the unit you occupy. If the landlord has known about the pets in the past and has changed his mind about them where the lease prohibits the pets, you could contest the request that they be removed due to his or her tacit approval of them residing with you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption