What to do if I with held rent because my land lord did not make necessary repairs regarding mold remediation?

UPDATED: Nov 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I with held rent because my land lord did not make necessary repairs regarding mold remediation?

Our apartment was flooded after a hurricane. Our landlord collected insurance and offered money to not do any repairs. I made a decision to vacate but I could not afford to do so without holding current payments. Since the time that we moved in 3 months ago, we have lived with a rotting wall in our kitchen from a leaky pipe he never fixed. After reading up I realize I was I. The wrong by not paying but I am arranging payments with him now.

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your landlord should have made the repairs to the rental that you were liivng in as opposed to keeping the insurance money. I would write the landlord about the need to make the repairs to the unit and the presence of mold stating a start date within a reasonable time period.

Keep a copy of the letter for future reference. If the landlord does not make the needed repairs within the requested time period, contact the local health department as well as the building and permit department for an inspection.

If you owe the landlord past due rent, work out a written payment agreement signed by the both of you in an amount that you can afford on a monthly basis. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption