What to do if my landlord keeps appearing at the house without letting me know he is coming?

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my landlord keeps appearing at the house without letting me know he is coming?

Can I refuse to let him in? And what can I do to make him stop? I have asked him in writing to please notify me before coming up and given him 2 ways to do it – email and by mail. What options do I have if he refuses to notify me?

Asked on June 23, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Washington


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In WA, a landlord is required to give 48 hours written notice before entering your rental.  Entry has to occur at a reasonable time.  If the landlord's entry into your rental is to show it to prospective tenants or prospective purchasers, only 24 hours notice is required.  No notice is required for the landlord to enter your rental in an emergency.

If the landlord refuses to provide you with the requisite notice prior to entering your rental, you can sue the landlord for breach of the covenant of quiet enjoyment.  The covenant of quiet enjoyment is in every lease and means that the tenant cannot be disturbed in his/her use and enjoyment of the premises.  If the landlord does not comply with the notice requirements, you can refuse entry.  If that occurs,  you should document it in writing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption