If my landlord isn’t supposed to be renting but is, who do I report it to?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my landlord isn’t supposed to be renting but is, who do I report it to?

I believe it has something with her current state of disability. I’m not sure of all the details but her recent boyfriend let it slip in an argument with her and she verified it was true. How much legal trouble could she be in?

Asked on September 17, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In order to see if your landlord is allowed to rent the unit you have, contact the local housing authority in your community and discuss the matter in greater detail that you have written about here. Some communities require that the landlord apply for and get issued a certificate to rent out his or her unit.

As to trouble that the landlord could get into for renting an illegal unit, the unit could be shut down for rental operations and you could possibly be entitled to the return of all rent paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption