Can my landlord void a document that he signed that releases me from my lease?

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlord void a document that he signed that releases me from my lease?

A document has been signed releasing me free and clear from my current lease. My former roommate remains living there. The electric bill is in my name. The landlord has asked me to turn off the electricity or he will void the above mentioned document.

Asked on November 15, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Maine


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there was some value given by you in exchange of the full release from liability on your lease in the future to the landlord and vice versa, then even if the landlord tried to "void" the release, it is still effective. Possible consideration is the fact that the former roommate will still remain in the unit as a renter.

As long as you have a written release signed and dated by your former landlord releasing you from all further liability on the lease you are writing about, then any attempt to void it would have no effect. I would make sure you made several copies of the release for future need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption