What ot do if my landlord is offering to terminate my lease and return my deposit but refuses to return my pet deposit?

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What ot do if my landlord is offering to terminate my lease and return my deposit but refuses to return my pet deposit?

I moved into my apartment 2 weeks ago. I have since reported multiple problems in the unit numerous times and instead of fixing the problems, they offered to terminate my lease and return my deposit if I move out within a week. However they refuse to return my pet deposit of $300. Is there anything I can do to get it back?

Asked on March 8, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your soon to be former landlord refuses to return your $300 pet deposit, but will return your other deposit, I suggest that you sit down with him or her and ask why you are not getting back the $300 that you are writing about. If his or her explanation is not to your satisfaction, then your recourse would be to file a small claims action against the landlord for the $300 pet deposit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption