What can be done if our landlord has not cashed our rent checks for 6 months?

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done if our landlord has not cashed our rent checks for 6 months?

My landlord is an elderly woman but she manages a trust that has multiple properties. She has never been great at cashing checks but usually it resolves within a few months. We have just been looking at our accounts and found she has not cashed 6 months’ worth. We effectively owe her $12,000. We also moved from one apartment to another within the same building over a year ago. She never returned the deposit for that despite many attempts and apologies on her part for being slow. She always claims she is so busy and far behind but it’s frustrating. What are our rights?

Asked on December 3, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have paid your landlord $12,000 for 6 months worth of rent and for whatever reason she has not cashed the checks, you really have nothing to be concerned about so long as you have copies of the checks paid her.

If you want her to cash the checks so you can get your checking account in order (balanced) I suggest that you call her to remind her to do so and follow up with a written letter reminding her to cash your rent checks.

As far as her failure to return the deposit for your former rental that she also owns, you need to call her about the need for it and follow up with a written letter. From what you have written it does not sound malicious on her part.

One solution for the need for the return of your former deposit would be to pay her next month's rent less the amount of the deposit owed you from your former rental in the same building.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption