What to do if my landlord filed bankruptcy and was holding my deposit privately not in escrow?

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my landlord filed bankruptcy and was holding my deposit privately not in escrow?

What recourse do I have? From what I’ve read my landlord is not liable for this deposit to be refunded. Am I just going to have to accept it’s gone and keep paying rent? I have little faith they will ever repay me this amount. Honestly I believe they were planning on filing bankruptcy before I started renting but have no proof. My landlord is licensed real estate agent. I’m unsure if that has any effect on their obligations or on my recourse.

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

For your landlord to sweep your deposit into his bankruptcy, he would have had to have listed you as a creditor in the bankruptcy, and you should be receiving documents from the bankruptcy court about submitting a creditor claim.  If you are not, then he did not list you as a creditor, in which case that debt will not be erased in the bankruptcy.  If it is not, then he will owe you that deposit when you move out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption