What can I do if my landlord forged my signature on my lease?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my landlord forged my signature on my lease?

I am living in a hostile living situations with roommates who steal, throw parties and disrespect me and the home. I’ve tried talking to my landlord about it and he does nothing. I asked him for a copy of the lease so I could read about the different rules of the house, only to find that it was not my signature on the copy but rather a forgery of my name he didn’t even spell my last name properly. He returned to me the copy of the

lease, not the original. Will this allow me to get out of my lease? I did not sign it, he forged my name.

Asked on December 8, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you did not sign a copy of the written lease (that is, you did not sign any copy--not merely that you did not sign this particular forged copy), then you are not bound to the written lease; rather, you would be a month to month tenant under an oral (unwritten) lease, and can give a month's notice that you are terminating your tenancy. But again: if you did sign any written lease, even if not his copy, you are bound to it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption