If my landlord flat out lied on my lease violation and I can prove it, how can I get the violation removed or can I sue?

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my landlord flat out lied on my lease violation and I can prove it, how can I get the violation removed or can I sue?

They stated that I refused to let a contractor into my townhouse. And that I told them to come back at 4:00 pm on the 5th. Well I get off at 4:00 and it takes me at least 45 minutes to get home on the bus which has security cameras. On the the day in question I did get off early but took a wedding present to my daughter’s old school. We saw about 7 people who will confirm this. I cannot be in 2 places at 1time. How can I get this violation removed from my record? Do I have to sue them to have it removed or a letter sent to my saying that they were mistaken?

Asked on December 12, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way to resolve the claim against you that you refused to let a contractor into your townhouse is to simply write the property manager and landlord your version of what happened keeping a copy of the letter for future reference and need.

I would also have a face to face meeting with the property manager as well as the landlord. Personally I would not be all that concerned as to the claim that you did not allow the contractor into the townhouse and any effect upon you down the road. In the big scheme of things in the rental of property, the issue is relatively a small matter based upon my experience.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption