What to do if my landlord wants to amend my lease agreement so that I would be paying my utility bill instead of him?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my landlord wants to amend my lease agreement so that I would be paying my utility bill instead of him?

I have a commercial lease. The original agreement states utility bill is inclusive because there is 1 meter for all 4 units. I refused to pay based on square footage but rather by usage which is not currently possible. I have 3 years left in my lease and he is now not allowing me to have any signage except what is required by law on the front of the building. What do I do?

Asked on December 29, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

A lease is a contract; during its term or period, it cannot be changed without the agreement of both parties.

However, a lease only obligates the parties to do what the lease specifically requires them to do. So, say that your lease does not specify your rights to signage; in that case, the landlord is free to limit your signage except as required by law--since the lease doesn't address the issue or put any requirements on him, he is free to do anything legal.

As a general matter, one party to a contract could try to "convince" the other party to agree to amend it by doing or offering anything legal--or by withholding any rights or permissions which it is not required to grant.

However, that said, all contracts have what's called the "implied covenant of good faith"--or the obligation that a party to the contract does not act in bad faith to deprive the other party of the benefit of his/her/its bargain. Since the lease specifically stated that utilities were included--so utilities are one of the terms bargained between you and the landlord--it *may* be the case that trying to pressure you to change a term you specifically negotiated would be a violation of the covenant of good faith. (It would be different story if the landlord were trying to get you to change the lease to add something not addressed previously in it--say, for example, he wanted you to now lease parking spaces, too, when the original lease was silent on the subject; since the lease did not address parking at all, there is no bad faith in even "hardball" negotiations.)

Therefore, it may be that you have grounds, under the covenant of good faith and fair dealing, to force the landlord to not restrict your signage; this would require, however, bringing a lawsuit seeking a declaratory judgment or injunction, which has its costs. It also is not certain, since while the covenant exists, courts are reluctant to give it too much power, since to do so broadens the contract beyond what the parties agreed to. If you feel that the lack of signage is a sufficiently negative impact that it may warrant a lawsuit, you should consult with an attorney in depth about your options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption