My landlord changed the locks and disposed of my remaining belongings, is that lawful?

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My landlord changed the locks and disposed of my remaining belongings, is that lawful?

On the 30th day of my notice I returned from out of town (family emergency) to find my locks changed and after calling the landlord, who was rather inappropriate and unprofessional, informed me that he had disposed of my property that was still inside. I wanted to know if he could lawfully do this. Among the property was a functional computer monitor and a relatively new dresser with baby clothes inside.

Asked on June 12, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Kentucky


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

no a landlord is not allowed to dispose of a persons belongings, even if they are being evicted thrown out haven't paid rent etc. If the landlord wanted to empty the apartment he had that option but had to pt your belongings in storage or somewhere that you would be able to get them

What i advise is contacting a local attorney, make a list of all the items disposed of and about the value, than explain the entire situation as far as the lease rent paid or not paid etc. At that point together you can decide how best to proceed but in short he did nt have a right to throw away your thing

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption