If my landlord advised me that I had to vacate the premises, don’t I have to be given at least 60 days notice?

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my landlord advised me that I had to vacate the premises, don’t I have to be given at least 60 days notice?

I was told to be out in a month. We do not have a lease and haven’t for 2 years. We were under the assumption per verbal agreement we were purchasing the place. What are the laws on this?

Asked on June 30, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

1) If you do not have a written lease, you are a month-to-month tenant on an oral (also called "verbal," though "oral" is the correct term) lease. As the name "month-to-month" implies, either you or the landlord can terminate the lease on a month's notice, not 60 days.

2)  Under what's called the "statute of frauds" in your state, any contract for the purchase or sale of real estate must be in writing. An oral or verbal agreement to buy real estate is not enforceable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption