What to do if my joint bank account that I hold with my wife was frozen last week due to a judgment from a credit card company?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my joint bank account that I hold with my wife was frozen last week due to a judgment from a credit card company?

The judgment was that $50 would be deducted from my checking account every month. I wasn’t aware that they had sent me a renew for this deduction several months ago. I assumed that this would take place until the debt was paid off. I also have a wage garnishment from another credit card collection agency. Are my wifes wages exempt from garnishment if she was not part of the original case. Can I claim a wild card exemption. Can I ask the judge to completely dismiss this case based on the law that I can not be garnished twice.

Asked on August 1, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Not nearly enough information to answer your question.  A non-wage garnishment freezes the account until a judge determines the disposition of the funds.  The same as a citation served upon your bank.  Such collection actions are not treated the same as wage garnishments.

You may be able to protect your wife's share of the joint account at the time of the entry of a turnover order by exerting her exemptions and the fact that she is not liable under the debts sought to be collected.  This would conceivably protect 50% of the account, once.  I would adise that she open a seperate account in her name for income purposes. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption