If my job was eliminated due to budget cuts and I received a discount on tuition, can I get it back?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my job was eliminated due to budget cuts and I received a discount on tuition, can I get it back?

As an employee of the school I received a discount on tuition for my daughter. Part of the “package” was that they would honor the discount until the end of the yr. The enrollment contract states no refunds but since I am no longer staff is the term of the contract voided? Part of the termination papers they want me to sign is that I won’t sue them, but I will take them to small claims if they don’t refund. Can they hold my severance pay they offer if I don’t sign?

Asked on August 25, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There is no way to answer your questions in the abstract, since they depend on the terms of the enrollment contract and also the terms of 1) any employment contract or agreement; and 2) the terms of any agreement offering or providing severance. Contractual questions can onlh be answered in terms of the specific language of the contract(s). You should bring the contracts and any related paperwork (e.g. offer letters; email correspondence about the job; marketing materials about the school and its tuition; etc.) with you to an attorney to review.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption