What to do if my employer wants me to relocate 45 minutes away and take a huge pay cut or move to the next state and keep my pay the same?

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my employer wants me to relocate 45 minutes away and take a huge pay cut or move to the next state and keep my pay the same?

Can I be fired for refusing? If so, can I collect unemployment?

Asked on November 27, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can be fired for refusing, since the landlord has the right to change an employee's location, pay, or also job title and responsibilites, at will--i.e. at any time, for any reason. If you do refuse, it could possibly result in you not being eligible for unemployment, or at least having the employer contest it (delaying it and putting receiving it in doubt), since the employer may consider that what happened is either--

1) You quit: that is, your pay was reduced, which the employer has the right to do, and you quit rather than accept it; or

2) You were insubordinate when told of the pay reduction and were fired for cause.

The problem for you is, since the employer has the right to transfer or reduce your pay, they can do without waiting for your agreement; so how you respond to it could, as discussed above, be taken as resignation or insubordination. It is not definite that they employer would win: large enough pay cuts or a far enough relocation can be considered to be "constructive"--or effective--termination, in the sense that the employer has made you job so untenable that it has effectively fired you. However, as stated, even if you were to prevail on that basis, at the least it will delay receiving unemployment--and there is always the chance you will lose.

The best thing to do may be to accept one of the options while looking for alternate employment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption