If myemployer istelling me thatI can’t cancel my insurance after the open enrollment date has passed, what canI do?

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If myemployer istelling me thatI can’t cancel my insurance after the open enrollment date has passed, what canI do?

Asked on February 21, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You may not be able to do anything. Insurance obtained through your employer is typically only cancelable (or otherwise changeable) either--

1) During the open enrollment period; or

2) If there were certain defined life changes--for example, if you were married and now are divorced, you could change a family health insurance plan to single coverage; or

3) If the policy otherwise provides for cancellation under certain circumstances, and those circumstances apply.

You should check all plan or policy documents, to see if  you can cancel under the circumstances in which you find yourself; otherwise, you may be obligated until the next open enrollment period.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption