my job is changing its scheduling and now forcing me to take a 2.00 paycut to meet their scheduling needs.

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

my job is changing its scheduling and now forcing me to take a 2.00 paycut to meet their scheduling needs.

I was making a rate for working 3rd shift. The company is doing away with third shift and spreading employees over 1st and second.. 1st shift is a 2dollar difference, 2nd shift is a 1dollar difference. I was asked my prefrence, I said 2nd (clearly less finacial loss but still a cut) I was told I had to take 1st. What are my options?

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, an employer is allowed to do this: it can set its shifts or schedules (and does not need to account for employee needs or preferences); can decide who works, when, at what; can determine compensation or pay; and can reduce an employee's pay. The only exception would be if you have an employment contract, setting out your shift or pay--if you have such a contract, it is enforceable. However, in the absence of such a contract, the company could choose which shift to assign you to and what to pay you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption