If myemployer has been taking money out of my check for my 401k and not sending the money to the investment company for over a year, what should I do?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If myemployer has been taking money out of my check for my 401k and not sending the money to the investment company for over a year, what should I do?

What type of action should I take? Legal action or contact the department of labor?

Asked on August 2, 2011 New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What you employer is doing is definitely illegal; if done knowingly or intentionally, it may be a crime, too (e.g. embezzlement or some other form of theft).

You should probably talk to an attorney immediately about this situation; you may wish to file a lawsuit promptly, one which both seeks compensation (e.g. the money the employer took from you and other damages), and also a court order barring the employer from taking any more money from you and also from transferring or depleting its own assets--the latter to make sure there is money to pay you. Time is of the essence, if this wrongdoing--whether someone, like the controller or the company owner, taking the money herself, or using the money to keep the company afloat and pay bills--since the longer you wait, the greater the chance all the money will be gone and you will never collect. If other employees are also affected, you may wish to retain an attorney jointly, to spread the cost. The lawyer may also recommend contacting the authorities. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption