What can I do if I feel that I was fired due to my pregnancy?

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I feel that I was fired due to my pregnancy?

My job has a 6-point system. My employer fired me even though I’ve provided doctors’ notes almost every time. The last few times was because I just found out that I’m pregnant. I feel that I was fired because of that reason. Can I take action because I’ve also was just informed that I was denied unemployment as well?

Asked on July 5, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Discrimination based on pregnancy is a form of illegal sex discrimination. It occurs when an employer treats an employee differently because of�her pregnancy or related conditions.

Accordingly, you can't fire a woman because she is pregnant.�However, the law doesn’t give pregnant women any special rights; it only prevents employers from treating pregnant employees differently than other employees. In other words, you can't be fired just because you are pregnant but being pregnant doesn't mean that you can' be fired. If your employer had other grounds (reasons) for you�terminating your employment,�then your discharge was legal.

Without knowing more of the details of your situation it's hard to advise further. At this point, you should consult with an employment law attorney to see if you have a case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption