My job fired me and refuses to pay me because I didn’t turn in proper paperwork I have absolutely no way of getting.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My job fired me and refuses to pay me because I didn’t turn in proper paperwork I have absolutely no way of getting.

I’m a sub contractor and Ackerman
security refuses to pay me because they
want paperworkAckerman paperwork I
have no access to. They owe me 3000
for over a month, I owe my car note, my
rent, im now facing eviction.

Asked on October 27, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you were an employee (i.e. paid on a W-2), they would have to pay you no matter what paperwork they wanted. If they don't, file a complaint with your state department of labor.
If you were, as you seem to indicate, an independent contractor (paid on a 1099), then if there was no written contract requiring this paperwork, they again would seem to have to pay you: in this case, the department of labor will not help you, but you should be able to sue them for breach of contract (violating the understanding or agreement, even if only an oral, or unwritten one, pursuant to which you worked), such as in small claims court, as your own attorney, or "pro se."
If there was any written agreement requiring this paperwork, then you contractually obligated yourself to provide it: they would be entitled to not pay you unless and until you provide it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption