If my jewelry shop was robbed one month ago, can I still collect on my insurance?

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my jewelry shop was robbed one month ago, can I still collect on my insurance?

I have commercial jewelry insurance. Since I was out of the country on personal matters, no one was able to claim insurance for the theft. I just got the police report and I am thinking about calling the insurance company. The goods stolen are worth about $4000. Is my claim still valid? Do I have a chance to recollect my loss?

Asked on December 5, 2013 under Insurance Law, New York


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The answer to your question depends upon the terms of your coverage.  Read your policy.  It may require a prompt notice provision which may disqualify you for coverage.  However, considering that you were out of the coverage, coverage may still exist.  Usually, if coverage is denied, you still have the right to enter arbitration to determine coverage.  Good Luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption