If my income has decreased due to my job change, what do I have to do to have my alimony adjusted accordingly?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my income has decreased due to my job change, what do I have to do to have my alimony adjusted accordingly?

I am in process of my divorce. I have a bipolar depression. Due to my mental health, I am changing my challenging work to a management position which will pay less. Currently, I am paying $3762 monthly to my Ex-Wife. However, not thing is finalized and we are not done with settlement etc. So, since my income will be decreased, I want my alimony to be adjusted. What do I have to do? Will there be any problem?

Asked on August 23, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Right now you are paying temporary spousal support.  Your permanent spousal support should be based on what you are making at the time of the hearing regarding that support amount.  You should really hire an attorney and should file an order to show cause to modify the temporary support order due to the change in your income.


Best of luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption