What is my husband’s financial responsibility if he is filing for legal separation?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my husband’s financial responsibility if he is filing for legal separation?

He is the provider in the home and I am a stay-at-home mom. I am pregnant as well. I have no income or means to support myself or my children at this point. I need to know what his financial responsibilities are until I am able to

get back on my feet and work.

Asked on May 4, 2016 under Family Law, Alabama


G.J., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

In Alabama, alimony is awarded to a spouse who needs financial assistance from the spouse who has the ability to pay. This is done so that economic status of both people is preserved as it was during the marriage. Your husband will be required to pay child support. Alimony will also likely be granted by the court due to your financial situation. If you and your husband come to an agreement about alimony, the court will not get involved. If you can’t do so, a trial will be held to determine alimony.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption