My husbands company taking money from employees

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My husbands company taking money from employees

My husband works for Amcomm
Telecommunications..he has off and on
for many years. They have been shorting
employees checks for quite some
time..and the week of Thanksgiving they
did it to my husband. They said he didnt
work day before or after Thanksgiving so
his check was 3 days short. They wont
make it right even after my husband
proved them wrong.and he wont keep
asking them because he is scared they
will fire him..what can we do?

Asked on December 21, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You have two options:
First, you can contact your state or the federal department of labor; they enforce the labor laws, including failure to pay wages or overtime required under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) or similar state laws, and may be able to help your husband get the money to which he is entitled. Even if they can't help, asking for their help is free, so it's a good place to start. 
Second, you could sue. When somone works, they work pursuant, or as per, an agreement, even if only an oral or unwritten one, that they will be paid in exchange for working. If the employee performs the work but the employer does not pay him, that is a violation of that agreement; therefore, the employer could be sue for "breach of contract" for the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption