What happens if my husband will not open the door to be served by the process server?

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if my husband will not open the door to be served by the process server?

My husband lives in another state. He served me the beginning of this month. I filed before I was served and was told to still serve him to see if they will allow the case to be in my state. He will not open the door for the process server and I do not have any info as to his employment (where exactly he works to try to serve him there). No one is giving me any info. We have a child together.

Asked on February 21, 2012 under Family Law, Wisconsin


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The process server can do a stake-out and wait for your husband to leave the house and then serve him at that time.  Your husband will have to leave the house at sometime whether to go to work, to pick up the mail, go to the supermarket, etc.  The process server could find out where your husband's job is located by following him.  That may not be necessary because when he leaves the house he can be served.  Another option is to have the marshal serve him at home as he should answer the door for the marshal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption